Confined space disaster at mushroom factory

A 20 year old male worker has died, and two other staff were left unconscious, in a mushroom plant tragedy on 13th September.

All four workers are believed to have been overcome with toxic fumes when working on the wood chip silo in the county of Monaghan, Ireland. Tragically, the worker that died at the scene was trying to save his brother trapped in an overhead industrial bin.

The emergency services took the two workers to Cavan General Hospital to receive treatment. It is believed other men, one being his brother, were not in a critical condition and do not have life-threatening injuries.

Multiple investigations were launched into the accident by the company, Garda Crime Scene Examiners and the Health and Safety authority.

Confined spaces are found in more working environments than you would think. Protect you, your workers, and others’ safety by ensuring they are properly trained and qualified to enter and work in confined spaces.

Confined Space Training

Confined Space Services provides a range of confined space training.

Fully trained with over 20 years’ experience, specialising in confined space training, and with Site Safety Plus, NEBOSH and IOSH accreditation, you can be assured our consultants offer only the best advice and service possible.

We can carry out our confined space training either on-site throughout the UK, or at our purpose built training facility where we can provide a number of different confined space scenarios depending on your requirements.

For more information on our confined space training courses click here.

Send this to a friend