Life unnecessarily lost in confined space

Tragically a life has been lost due to carbon monoxide poisoning in a confined space.

A 73-year-old grandfather was found on the deck of his boat after he had collapsed, in Mais Oui, on the Channel Island of Jersey.

An inquest into his death on 16th February 2017, discovered he was overcome with exhaust fumes from the boat’s engine, leading to his death from carbon monoxide poisoning. A canvas cover was applied to the cockpit area of the boat, which created a confined space. The boat was discovered when one of its two engines was still running.

It is recommended that carbon monoxide detectors are fitted to boats, where gases could gather quickly, particularly in communal areas.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide include dizziness, headaches, nausea, blurred vision, vomiting, fatigue and shortness of breath.

Confined spaces are in more environments than you would believe. It is best to protect you, your workers and others’ safety by ensuring they are properly trained and qualified to enter and work in confined spaces.

Confined Space Training

Confined Space Services provides a range of confined space training.

Fully trained with over 20 years’ experience, specialising in confined space training, and with Site Safety Plus, NEBOSH and IOSH accreditation, you can be assured our consultants offer only the best advice and service possible.

We can carry out our confined space training either on-site throughout the UK, or at our purpose built training facility where we can provide a number of different confined space scenarios depending on your requirements.

For more information on our confined space training courses click here.

Send this to a friend